Wednesday, March 31, 2010

AstroNat: Bibtex for Astronomy Journals (extends to other Science journals)

Setup: I work in parasitology and many of the parasitology journals require submission of .doc files. I use a commercial software (GrindEq) to turn my .tex file to .doc. But I think Baker's code offers a free solution? (I haven't tried it out yet)

Baker has put together an interesting package of LaTeX, BibTeX and Perl software. I think that this is the goal:
1. You want to use the functionality of latex/bibtex
2. You are submitting to a journal which does not allow you to submit separate .tex and .bib files when they want your raw files (this happens with many science journals)

Baker's solution:
1. Do everything first with latex/bibtex functionality. Output .tex,.bbl file
2. The run a perl script on the .tex and .bbl file and output an electronic copy of your paper which you can submit.

Obvious Question: I haven't tried this out yet, so I don't know what the output file formats are?

Anyway here is his link:
http://ads.harvard.edu/pubs/bibtex/astronat/doc/html/astronat_toc.html

Additional side notes of interest. One topic that Baker covers is the max author command to control how many authors you display in your references before et al is used. This is extremely important when referencing biology articles which often involve 10^6 authors.

I plan to post on the question of max author in general.